Skip to main content

That's Major, Mister

Lowspeed and Me - Lancer Initiation Party sp2005
*Just a heads up, I kinda drop an "F" bomb at the end of this post...sorry*

Got a text at work today from Alex, who also goes by Lowspeed, Scope, and Sally (in no particular order).  He was picked up today for Major.  He commissioned into the Air Force in 2008 as a Second Lieutenant, or a Butter Bar as we use to call it.  Congrats bro, I'm super proud of you.

Lowspeed and I go way back, like Cadillac seats.  He was in my first flight as a ROTC cadet, along with my roomie Obie.  We all became very tight that semester, fall of 2004.  Romeo Flight.

In the spring of 2005, we pledged for Arnold Air Society together.  We go through hell together as pledges, pushing our mental and physical capacities to excel at everything we try to do.  It just so happens that Lowspeed and I are in the same major in school, so we just click.  We start having classes together, we go through training together, we study and hangout together.  We form a bond, he becomes like a brother to me.

We get inducted into Arnold Air together.  Lancer Class, spring 2005 and serve as society officers together, and just hang constantly.  He becomes one of our crew, the Springwood Crew.  I'm pretty sure he invented Taco Tuesdays.  He introduced me to Half-Life 2.  He would support every crazy idea I had, and I would support his.

Summer of 2005 we ship off to Ellsworth AFB in South Dakota for training.  Yup, he's there with me, but in a different squadron.  During our mock deployment, I get stuck in a bomb shelter during a bombardment.  Guess who happens to be there with me...Lowspeed.  I wouldn't have had it any other way, real life or drill.

I know this is kind of mushy, but Lowspeed is the brother I had always wanted to have.  He is family in the truest since of the word to me.  I feel like I let him down a lot of times, but he has stood by my side, through the good times and the worst times of my life.  So thank you man, for sticking by this scum bag when you had no reason to.

Congrats Sally on your promotion.  Those gold oak leaf clusters will look good on you.  You've earned it.  I'm proud of everything you've done and I'm proud of the officer you are.  No go get them wings and live your dream mother fucker!  AIR FUCKING POWER!

Comments