Skip to main content

Boo For Doctors!

I spent nearly the entire afternoon at the doctor's office and the pharmacy.  Waking up this morning, my eye hurt and was burning and itching.  I wanted to rip it out of my eye and feed it to my pet raven.  Okay, I don't have a pet raven but that would be pretty bad ass.  I did the whole hot rag on the eye thing plus drowned it in Clear Eyes but by time lunch rolled around I was miserable and just went to the urgent care.

Not pleased to waste my day here...
The up side was that I was off work today anyways so I didn't technically lose any money in that way.  Beach Care in Morehead City was not busy.  What I mean by that is that I was one of two people sitting in the waiting area.  I saw the nurse rather quickly, which was a plus.  I did the whole eye chart thing.  Spoiler alert, the eye that I came in for them to look at had worse vision than the other.  Never would have guessed.  I got kind of worried when the nurse brought this tackle box into my room...not only was it an actual tackle box, it said, "OYE KIT" on the side.

So this speedy service gave me hope that I wasn't going to wait forever for the doctor.  Boy was I wrong.  I lost track of time because I dozed off...I actually fell asleep waiting for the doctor to come in.  When he did come in and have a look at my eye, he seemed pretty confident in what it was immediately.  Just to make sure there was nothing else in my eye or a scratch on my cornea, he numbed it, put some dye in it and then hit it with a black light.  No debris or scratches.  He called in my prescription and then was on his way.  This is what I was diagnosed with.

I shot next door to Walgreen's to get my eye drops.  After waiting nearly forty-five minutes, I was told that my co-pay for the drops was $80.  My jaw hit the floor.  The technician was kind enough to call the doctor and ask about anything else he might could perscribe that would be cheaper or if there was a generic I could get.  The doctor basically said get the drops or go home and deal with it.  It was a very frustrating afternoon.  Then the pharmacist asked me how many days the doctor told me to take the drops and when I was going back for a follow-up.  I told him that the doctor didn't tell me anything except to pick up my prescription.  No one could tell me how long I was suppose to do these drops.  Then, the pharmacist asked if I wanted both bottles of drops.  I asked if it was going to be cheaper to get just the one bottle, and he told me it was still going to be $80.  Well duh, give me both bottles if it's going to be the same price.

I got home, hit the eye drops and did some cleaning seeing it was too late to do anything else.  I got to the urgent care about 1:30 in the afternoon.  I didn't get home until around 4:30.  I cooked dinner for dad and mom and watched an episode of 13 Reasons Why on Netflix.  Very sad but very good so far.  It is a 13 episode series based on the book of the same name.  Got a load of laundry in the wash and now I'm ready for bed.  Work in the morning so I better get going.

Comments