Skip to main content

sudo apt-get upgrade

If you recognize the title of this post, then you're a nerd.  But that's cool because I'm a nerd also and we can share in our nerdness while everyone else is scratching their heads as they pull up a Google search.  Of course they would use Google, if they knew what the title meant, they would probably be using DuckDuckGo for searches.

I run Linux, specifically Ubuntu Linux.  I'm no master at it, and most of the time I have no idea what I'm doing as I search message boards and documentation trying to figure things out.  However, I bought a cheap computer that suits my current needs and quite honestly could not afford to put Windows on it.  So, this free, open source Linux distribution was the obvious choice.  It is a pain in the butt some days, but it pretty much does everything a Windows box can do and I've yet to spend a penny on any sort of software.  Email, Net, calendars, spread sheets, word documents and everything else, it handles quite nicely.

I was running Ubuntu 16.04 and found out today that 17.04 had been released.  So of course, I needed to upgrade my system.  I backed up all my files onto an external hard drive and did a clean install of the new OS, oddly named Zesty Zapus.  It went smoothly for the most part.  I had spent most of the morning trying to find an email client to use other than Thunderbird, which came packaged with Zesty Zapus.  I tried two, and neither of them seemed like they were worth the hassle.  One wouldn't even connect to my Gmail account so obviously that wasn't gonna fly.  I think I'm going to just learn to like Thunderbird.  The only problem was that I forgot to back up my list of blogs that I subscribe to so now I have to go hunt them down again.  The same thing with all of my bookmarks on Firefox.  Lesson learned.

I'm looking forward to customizing this system a bit more as I further learn the mysteries of Linux.  There are some very creative and talented people out there developing software, extensions and add-ons for Linux.  It should be fun playing around with things.

The rest of my day was spent getting my room organized - which was a failure.  My bed does not have sheets on it and the crap that was on my floor is on my bed and will soon be back on the floor as I turn in for the night.  Sheets will just have to be washed tomorrow.  I got some checks written for some bills which will go in the mail tomorrow.  Did some more sewing and got in some fabric and foam from the FedEx guy today so more nap mats are on the way.  I'm told Oinkers loves hers and lays on it all the time.  I have to be at work in the morning, so I'm out like a fat kid in dodge ball.  Later Days!

I bet you thought I forgot about Throw Back Thursday...

February 14, 2005
My roomie, Kevin O'Brien, affectionately known as Obie, took this in our dorm room freshman year of college right after a night of getting our butts kicked at PT (physical training for those non-military folk).  That's sand plastered to my face...evidently we had PT in the sand pits that night.

Comments