Skip to main content

You Know...Just Saving A Baby

It's just what I do...saving babies and all.  No, no, please, hold your applause.  I'm just doing what anyone in my position would do.  In that sense, we are all heroes, not just me.  We share this moment together - you and me, me and you...us.  Remember, there is no "I" in "TEAM".  There is a "ME", but that's beside the point.  Today is about "US"...U...S...A?  Maybe an A?  Anyone out there Canadian, eh?  Who knows, but soak it up, you.  You deserve this.

If you are confused, let me give you the back story.  Bumper's had a baby.  Well, one of her alpacas had a baby.  They did not know the momma was preggo so this was a shock for them.  Sadly, the poor thing was born with an abnormality which did not allow her to use the bathroom.  Surprisingly, she made it through the night and this morning they took her to the vet to put her down.  In a surprising twist, one of the vets said, "Hey, I think I can save her."  After a little surgery work, the baby seems to be doing well.  She is not out of the clear yet, but it's looking pretty good.  The vet's name was Stacy so if the baby survives, Stacy will be it's name.  I saw a picture of her and her momma (yes, Stacy's mom has got it going on) and she is just soooooo freakin' adorable.



Anyways, here is the part where I come in and save the day...after Dr. Stacy did all of the hard work, of course.  The momma is not producing milk, which is not such a good thing.  The baby needs her momma's first milk to survive.  That first milk is called colostrum and it has the nutrients and stuff for the baby to live.  Without it, the little guy will die.  It just so happens that my mom had a bottle of frozen colostrum from when our goats had kids.  So I swoop in and...send my dad to deliver the frozen milk to my friend because I can't leave the house this late...that's when my really good night turned into me sulking around, realizing how limited I am still.  Bumpers, I'm really sorry :-(

Work was pretty good.  I got chocolate!  It was the sweetest thing...


When I got home, Silas was here to greet me.  Amber left him at our house while her and dad trailered Little Bee to Raleigh for a vet appointment.  So, after relaxing from work a little while (I watched an episode of Full Metal Alchemist...it had been a few weeks so I needed to get one in) I put Silas in the back of my car and met dad and Amber at her house.  We switched off - the dog for Chinese take-out.  I also gave Amber her Mother's Day gift - a nap mat that I sewed for little Oinkers.  It turned out great and the little booger loves it.  Check out her Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, ad infinium to see photos.  I'm sure they are all over the net by now.




Comments